Monday, August 17, 2009

The Prescott Windows - Day 1




Construction began today on the left side of the Prescott windows. I’m sure the Prescott’s are getting anxious to see them complete, as am I. The design and glass choices took about 30 days, which is pretty good considering the pattern is an original design and was drawn out by hand. The Prescott’s have been great to work with… I hope I can exceed their expectations!

The pattern preparation took an hour and half. I checked and double checked the measurements. One of my biggest fears is to attempt an installation and the piece not fit into the opening! Pattern preparation is kind of like painting a room… the prep work is tedious but necessary! There are two patterns, one to use for transferring the individual pattern pieces to the glass and the second to lay out the cut pieces.

The rest of the afternoon was spent cutting glass. There was, of course, the occasional potty break and the 3:15 walk down to Frisky Berry for a cup of coffee to keep me going! I didn’t get as much cut as I had hoped. Wednesday should be a good, productive day.

For some reason, I cannot get a handle on the color of the hummingbird. I asked Chris at Armstrong Glass his opinion and the bird you see in the picture were the colors he suggested. I’m going to cut it again with the color I had been thinking of previously. I’ll let the Prescott’s take a look at it before it is soldered together and let them decide which color combo to go with. We’ll see how it looks when all the other colors are around it. It can always be changed. I love the colors as they are now, just not sure how they’ll look with the blue background and green leaves.

No comments: